jeudi 24 mai 2012

Wardrobe Memories
Mémoires d'armoire


Some weeks ago, Lois on her blog 13Threads had started a beautiful thread (!) : she introduced Ida Taavitsainen's project The Memory of My Wardrobe, and then Marion, Dawn, Viktoria told some stories hidden in their wardrobe

 As a teenager, I used to wear only pants, black pants. Later, at 20 years old, I started to wear skirts but my problem was I only like long victorian skirts, impossible to find where I lived in 1992. My grand-mother Maria was a wonderful knitter and she also sewn all her clothes. So I coaxed my grand-mother to teach me how to sew and this is the skirt we made together. 
First the choice of the pattern, then the fabric, I wanted wool, I followed her in fabric stores and we chose a thick gray dry wool. You must keep in mind that my grand-mother was pleased of the whole business but she was not a person to show happy feelings, she grunted all along, but I knew how to hear these particular grunts of her! 
Today this is the anniversary of her death. It was 12 years ago. I miss her terribly. I still wear this skirt. Without her grunts during hours spent together cutting, sewing, I wouldn't be doing something with my hands. I owe her that. She was the one to encourage me in her ways.


Il y a quelques semaines, Lois sur son blog 13Threads a initié un beau sujet : après avoir présenté le projet de Ida Taavitsainen The Memory of My Wardrobe,  Marion, Dawn, Viktoria ont raconté l'histoire de leur garde-robe.
A mon tour. Adolescente, je portais exclusivement des pantalons. Vers 20 ans, j'ai commencé à porter des jupes. Le hic était de trouver quelque chose à mon goût. Ma grand-mère Maria, hormis le fait qu'elle était une tricoteuse émérite, était aussi une couturière hors-pair. J'ai donc demandé à ma grand-mère de m'apprendre à coudre. Cette jupe est notre oeuvre. Il a fallut choisir le patron, puis le tissu. J'ai suivi ma grand-mère dans une boutique de tissu, je voulais de la laine. Nous avons choisi ce drap de laine épais gris. Il faut garder à l'esprit qu'il a fallut convaincre ma grand-mère de m'apprendre à coudre, ce qui n'a pas été facile même si ça lui faisait plaisir. Et tout au long de l'opération, je voyais bien qu'elle était contente mais ma grand-mère n'était pas du genre à dire ni exprimer son plaisir par autre choses que des plaintes et des grognements.
C'est le mois anniversaire de sa mort. Cela fait 12 ans. Elle me manque terriblement. Je porte toujours cette jupe en hiver. Sans ses grognements et ses soupirs d'agacement durant les heures passées penchées toutes les deux à couper, coudre, je ne ferais pas ce que je fais aujourd'hui de mes mains. Je lui dois ça, et ça n'est pas rien. C'est elle qui m'a encouragée dans cette voie. 

6 commentaires:

  1. What a truly beautiful memory of time well-spent with your beloved grandmother...and a beautiful skirt which is timeless and meaningful!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I agree! A lovely post about a very beautiful relationship.

    Do you still wear the skirt?

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thank you :D
    Yes Lois, I still wear this skirt in winter, I like to wear it when it's particularly cold because of its thick wool fabric that keeps me warm!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. What a lovely homage to your grandmother. Thank you for sharing.

    RépondreSupprimer

J'adore lire vos commentaires, merci!
I love reading your comments, thank you!